Thread: This Side of the Long Night (IC) (PG-13)

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy and Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Default This Side of the Long Night (IC) (PG-13)

This Side of the Long Night

Monday, August 6, 3:00 PM - Clay Valley Town Hall

The young and newly-elected mayor Mathilda Matthews called the room to order. The town hall was as fresh as she was, built only a couple of years back during the flurry of renovations that included the shopping center, a couple of restaurants, and a shiny new sign with a shiny new slogan - Clay Valley: Building The Future One Brick At A Time! If only they had known how prophetic that statement was...

Mrs. Matthews was frankly terrified and completely unprepared for all of this. First the drought, then waves of violence that Summer, and then without warning or explanation the power had gone out. They had thought at the time that it was a standard outage. But then when most of the cars wouldn't start and nobody came to fix the problem, they had begun to wonder. Then people started wandering through, said it was the same everywhere they had been. They said it was something called an electromagnetic pulse. An EMP, something people had only heard about on TV. Some blamed terrorists, others said it must be a massive solar flare, but at this point it didn't matter. It was the shock that stopped the beating heart of the nation. And now, it was on life support at best. At worst? It was already dead and they just didn't know it yet. The plant couldn't filter water, the gas stations couldn't pump gas for the cars that did work. Within a week there was no running water, the shelves were empty and the trucks stopped coming altogether. Today, a month later, people had to be convinced that it was safe to leave their homes long enough to travel to town hall for the meeting today. Everyone was scared, hungry, sleep deprived and paranoid. If they were to pull together and keep from turning on the neighbors they had gone to birthday parties and ball games with, they needed to know that they could make it. And right now, that was her job... Heaven help us...

"Now what we need to do first is assess where we stand as a town. A sign-in sheet is being passed around now. We need the number and names of everyone in your household first and foremost. If we are to make it through this, and we will make it through, we will need to pool our resources and skills and distribute food and supplies according to need. After that, the next step-"

"That sounds rather communistic to me, madam mayor," some heckler in the crowd piped up. "You ran as a red, but you sure you ain't going pink on us, Miss Matthews?"

In a normal situation, the room would have laughed it off and moved on, but this was not a normal situation. You could almost feel the building grow cold with suspicion. Was she really suggesting they give up their possessions and work for free? Go hungry and bust their butts so the greedy louts in town could get fat and lie around?

"No, sir, I am not, and it is Mrs. Matthews. Now, until we reach the point in this community where families can reasonably be expected to be independent again, we will need to make some sacrifices. All of us. It isn't unreasonable when you consider the alternative."

There was general grumbling, but they knew she was right. They had heard of the gangs going house to house up north. Some of them had seen riots break out right in front of them. More than the thieves and murderers even was the fear of becoming one. Eventually the noise died down enough for the mayor to continue. "Our first priority should be food. At some point our pantries will run out, so before the start of Autumn we need to have crops in the ground."

People exchanged nervous glances. Most of their pantries had been empty for weeks. Was it already too late?

"My first emergency action will be to lift restrictions on agricultural endeavors in the suburban areas. Now some of you - I won't name names - never took them very seriously to begin with. Those of you with gardens, you'll need to share your seeds. Also, I will allow those without hunting licenses to hunt, provided that in every hunting party is someone who has one. We must take care to avoid overhunting and overfishing, so existing limits will be enforced. If at all possible, we need to conserve canned and preserved foods. Right now everything else can wait. If we don't start gathering and distributing food now, we won't make it to Autumn, much less through Winter."

There were nods and grunts of assent. Finally, some progress. "And if you think that digging in the dirt is beneath you, see how you feel once you are underneath it." Okay, maybe that had been a bit much, but it had gotten the attention of those still grumbling. Now they realized she was serious, they were finally paying attention. "This time next week we need to have rotations of hunters and guards patrolling the town limits and every available fertile piece of land planted with as many crop seeds as we can get our hands on. If we do this quickly, if we do this right, not only will Clay Valley survive, but we will be able to help others. Now, I am sure that help is already on its way. FEMA, other government organizations, were ready for this. They have people thinking up contingency plans 24/7. But it's a long way from here to Washington. Let's make them proud. Let's blow their socks off at how well we made it through this time of trouble. Are y'all with me on this?" Shouts and applause. "Good. Now, let's get a good night's rest and get started tomorrow. Before we dismiss, though, are there any questions?" She hoped there wouldn't be, but knew that was too much to hope for. The whole reason everyone was here was to get answers to their questions.

"I got one." It was the same heckler from before. "When can we expect to hear from President Starkey?"

There was confusion around the room, but luckily Mrs. Matthews knew what he was talking about. He was making an allusion to an old movie called The Postman. In it, the hero made up the President Starkey character in order to set people's minds at ease. Now that she thought about it, the post-apocalyptic setting of the film was not terribly unlike their current situation, but not many here would get his ill humored joke. Although this guy was being sarcastic, what he was really asking was a valid question. How long would it be before they knew what had really happened and why?

"There is nothing to worry about. The current president is still in office, otherwise we would have heard about it. But like I said, it's a long way from here to Washington, so we'll need to be patient. Now, are there any serious questions?"

Near the back, Mathilda's older sister Helen raised her hand. "What about the children? I got word from Mayor Clark in Springview, and he says that most of the teachers have left. Even if they could find enough temporary help, they don't have the resources to take kids to and from. They have decided not to open it at all."

The mayor sighed. There had been times when she had been glad Clay Valley didn't have its own schools, but this was not one of them. "That would be a question for the county board of education, but I'm not sure there is one left. What we could do is have the teachers and homeschooling parents come together and discuss the logistics of setting up a temporary classroom in, say, the old senior center, or some other unused building that could be converted to the purpose."

"I suppose that could work, but what about the seniors. They will also need someplace to go now. They can't just sit at home. What about the library? We have a decent reference section and I'm sure if I look through the boxes in back I can come up with some textbooks. They may be a bit weathered, but it's better than nothing."

Mathilda nodded. "You see, this is exactly why we need to make plans together. We have a wide range of skills just in this room, and lots of talented family members back at home. Working together, we can tackle anything this world throws at us, am I right? Next question?"

"Over here, miss high and mighty." It was a familiar voice. No. It couldn't be. "I hear a lot of talk about food. That's nice and all, but what about water? Shelter? Hygiene, for crying out loud! What do we do if somebody gets sick or injured? How can you even think of adjourning this here meeting without covering the most basic essentials of surviving?"

"Dad? What are you doing here?"

"Forgotten about me, have you? Well I'm still a part of this town and you better thank your lucky stars I am here. Not like anyone thought to invite me."

She tried to redeem herself. "If anyone has forgotten about this town it's you. I didn't even know you were still here. Anyway, we are going to discuss other issues after we start getting some food together."

"What good is food if no one knows how to handle it? If the river gets contaminated 'cause some fool thought he'd use it as a toilet and everybody gets sick, what good's your food then? And what good is it if the crops don't grow, or everything spoils because no one knows how to can or smoke meat? Worst of all, what good is food if you all end up dead because you don't have the sense to keep watch at night? All you'd end up doing is feeding a bunch of mutant zombie biker types. Words and ideas are all well and good, but if nobody knows what they're about, this town hasn't got a snowball's chance."

She took a deep breath and composed herself. If Helen had brought their father she really should have warned her. "You make some excellent points. We need to discuss some ground rules regarding hygiene and waste. We also need to designate a hospital building and get a rotation going for a night watch. But we can't do everything at once. If we don't eat, we won't have the energy for anything else. One step at a time."

Kent Clark made a harrumphing noise and sat back down. "Ya'll do what you please, but once you realize you have been doing it wrong, you'll find me at the river. I ain't going hungry like the rest of ya."

Mathilda cleared her throat, hoping her makeup was covering up the flush she felt in her cheeks. "We will take your suggestions into account, thank you. Any other questions?"
    Last edited by Eldora; 05-19-2015 at 03:19 AM.

Fantasy mostly, but being a roleplay lover, I am up for anything!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amber woke up off the stiff, dirty bed of the near abandoned hotel. Light filtered in through the dusty window, waking up Ambers sister, Kaylee. Kaylee was normally a light sleeper and would wake up to the slightest disturbance while Hanna would sleep like a bear in the middle of hibernation. Amber sat up on the side of the bed and stretched, a loud yawn to go along with it. She usually didn't sleep well at night, but she had a long day the day before.

The hotel had been run down, even more so after the power outage. "Kaylee, wake up your sister..." Amber asked her in a groaning, sleepy voice. She then grabbed a plastic bag which seemed to have a single change of clothes in it. Amber walked into the bathroom while Kaylee attempted to wake up the sleeping child on the bed. About fifteen minutes later, Amber opened the door, fully dressed with her hair brushed as best she could with the broken comb she had. "Alright Kaylee, go ahead and get ready, I'll wake her up." She said, fully awake by now.

Kaylee shuffled into the bathroom, tired and still in the clothes from the day before. With a click, the door closed behind the girl, her clothes were already on the counter in the bathroom. "Hanna... Hanna wake up, we have to go." Amber was of course referring to the meeting, which they were probably already late to. There was an angry, tired groan muffled by the small pillow she had, and that's all the response Amber had gotten out of her. "Come on Hanna, It's important. You know this with all that's been happening." No response.

Amber let out a sigh and jerked back the covers, then picked Hanna up and put her over her shoulder, Amber then proceeded to spin around until she heard Hanna angrily yell out, "Amber! Put me down, now!" So, with a slight chuckle, Amber put Hanna down on the floor.

"Now, I want you to get your butt up and get dressed as quick as you can." Amber said somewhat sternly. At this moment, Kaylee walked out of the bathroom, handing Hanna a shirt and pants. Hanna jerked the clothes out of her hand and quickly walked into the bathroom. "You ready Kaylee?" Amber asked. The response she got was a smile and a nod. Kaylee didn't really talk much, and didn't enjoy being in large crowds, yet Amber was not about to leave both girls home alone. Hanna came out of the bathroom dressed and ready within two minutes, she didn't really have to brush her hair due to its shortness.

"Alright girls, let's go." Amber said, motioning them toward the door as she opened it. After all three girls were out of the hotel, Hanna grabbed onto Ambers sleeve and Kaylee held onto her arm. Both girls knew to stay close, they even kept holding on once they had made it to the meeting. The mayor was young and seemed to have a good plan to Amber, although both girls weren't listening anyways. Amber listened to the arguments between her and the heckler, along with other people. She knew she could help with the hunting because the one thing she brought back from her dads for the memories was her bow. She still had a few arrows left as well. Although Amber absolutely knew she could be one of the hunters, she didn't know if she should or not... She had the girls and the only one that could go with her really would be Kaylee. Hanna would make too much noise, or wander off, or get hurt somehow if she took her, but she couldn't leave the two by themselves... Could she? As far as Amber knew, neither her nor the girls had any questions so far. Well, none of importance at least. She then checked on the two, only to find them surprisingly attentive. The two were listening and seemed interested. Amber didn't question it, as if not wanting to break their concentration/
    Spoiler: Wanna join one of my roleplays? 

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default The Alabasters

In the house of three that would soon be the house of two, Andrew Alabaster lay prostrate on the bed that had once belonged to his son. He did not feel very good at all; felt, in fact, as though one of those Dyson vacuums had been hooked up to his anus and sucked out all the fluids from his decrepit body.

Peter sat on a stool abreast his grandfather, his head bowed and tears rolling lazily down his cheeks. Beside him he could hear the plaintive hiccoughs of his sister, Scarlett. She had said that she wouldn’t cry—The Alabasters were Irish after all—but had done so only several seconds after seeing Andrew. She was not beautiful at all in her grief; her eyes were puffy from tears and mucous dripped from her nose, to her lips, and down her chin. Peter hated to think it, but she looked like a hybrid that had gone terribly wrong after some sick scientists had fused her DNA with that of the Blob’s. The allusion only made him cry harder.

It was funny how the world operated. One day you were alive and the next day you were. What was it that Macbeth had said after his wife had committed suicide?

Life is a tale…performed by an idiot…with sounds and fury signifying nothing.

“Sing me that song…one last time,” that was Andrew’s voice and in his melancholy, Peter at first thought that his grandfather was speaking to an angel. But, then he saw Scarlett wiping her eyes with the back of her hand, cleaning up her snot as best as she could and he thought: Oh!

From the basement of her throat, Scarlett began to sing Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You.” Peter had expected her voice to shake, but it came out as smooth as steel. No notes were missed.

If I should stay

I would only be in your way

So I'll go

but I know

I'll think of you every step of the way

After a while Peter told her to shut up. She didn’t seem to hear him, however and so he yelled it:

“SHUT UP, SCARLETT!”

Scarlett shut up.

Silence descended on the Alabasters once more as though a pall had been pulled over them; as though they had all decided, inwardly, to die together. Andrew Alabaster did not notice that his granddaughter had stopped singing, nor that Peter, who was normally a reticent fellow, had raised his voice to a decibel his father would normally use. Instead, the old man mouthed the words to the lyrics Scarlett had not been allowed to sing and Peter could not stop him. Didn’t have the heart to stop him.

I hope life treats you kind

And I hope you have all you've dreamed of

And I wish you joy and happiness

But above all this I wish you love

Peter left the room.

When Scarlett followed after him thirty minutes later, there was no need for her to say anything. She had wiped away all her tears, but her eyes were still red and her lower lip was thrust out, as though any moment she would start crying again. Irish blood be damned.

“At least he had a good life.” Peter said, his voice quiet.

He had hoped that that would lighten the mood, but Scarlett only gave a faintly perceptible nod to show that she was not ignoring him. “At least he had a good life,” was something everyone said during times like this. The words were empty and impersonal. Peter hated himself for saying them. He looked at his wrist and was oddly surprised to discover that his Rolex was there. He didn’t remember putting it on this morning. Then again, he could not remember anything before Andrew’s death.

Had time existed before them?

It seemed possible. Heck, it seemed damn right probable yet, Peter wasn’t certain. It was as if Grandpa’s death brought the epoch of a new era, and the era prior to his death was forgotten.

The Rolex read 3:49PM.

The town meeting would still be going on. Yesterday—yes, there was a yesterday; time had existed before Grandpa’s death—Peter had decided that he would attend. He was the man of the house now that his father was away and would need to assume all the responsibilities that occupation entailed.

Although things hadn’t gone as planned there was probably still time to get there without missing everything and he told Scarlett exactly that. She looked as though she wanted to come with him, but something stopped her and Peter thought he knew what.

“She doesn’t want to leave Grandpa,” he thought.

Dead or alive, Grandpa had been there for them when their father hadn’t been. Their mother had died not too long after Scarlett’s birth and so Peter and Scarlett didn’t quite remember her. As a matter of fact, Scarlett didn’t remember her at all and the only aspect of her physiognomy that Peter could recall was the throbbing sore on her ankle that Peter now understood as an ULCER. Whenever the Alabaster kids had asked their father what their mother had looked like he only gestured to his chest and smiled in that way rapists probably smiled right before they ‘gave her the D.’

“She had huge knockers,” he would say and then whatever gameshow—either Family Feud or Wheel of Fortune—he was watching would once again arrest his attention. And if he was drunk—which had been pretty frequent during the latter days before he had moved out—then he would just squeeze Peter’s tit and laugh “her breasts were a lot bigger than yours, shaawtie.” That had been his pet name for Peter. ‘Shaawtie.’ At twenty years old, Peter was a meager five foot seven and so the name fit just fine and that only made Peter loathe it all the more.

He looked back to Scarlett. She was biting her lower lip. “Stop that Scarlett you’ll bleed,” Peter said and sure enough, a trickle of blood rolled down her chin. She wiped it quickly. “I’ll go on to the meeting, see if I can get any information and then I’ll bring someone back to…” his voice trailed off, but Scarlett nodded nonetheless as though she had heard, from some ESP, the words he had left unsaid: bury the body. They were siblings after all. Maybe not twins—she was thre years younger than him—but Peter wouldn’t be surprised if they shared some sort of psychic power that enabled them to read each other’s mind if their emotions were heightened enough. Peter looked into her eyes, tried to read her mind to see if she was okay.

She wasn’t, but he didn’t need mind reading to figure that out. That was just Big Brother instinct. He gave her a strong squeeze on the shoulder, smiled, and headed south towards the Town Hall.

“Almost the whole town must be here,” Peter thought as he slipped through a small opening made by two muscular rednecks. Standing on the stage was Mrs. Matthews. Peter had always found her beautiful—in a Cougar sort of way—and had to admit that he had had a crush on her when he was younger. This crush had persisted several months after she had married Robert (Peter always called him “Robbie” inside his head). Peter had pretty much forgotten about her when he had left to study English lit at the University of Maine and wasn’t at all surprised to see that she had become mayor of Clay Valley during his absence.

Makes a lot of damn sense actually, he thought.

Sitting on a metal chair Peter saw Clay Valley’s former mayor—Kent Clark. He seemed pissed about something, but that was not surprising. He always found something to be pissed about. Scarlett and Peter would always call him “Kent Clark: Superman’s Alter Ego” when they were both teenagers and definitely when he wasn’t within earshot.

The crowd seemed restless, but they were not very loud, which was unusual for the denizens of Clay Valley. In a town where the borders between races was non-existent, and even the families on opposite sides of the Valley thought themselves as neighbors, silence was a rarely seen commodity. Other than the several questions that floated around, order reigned supreme.

Before Peter asked a question of his own—before he grabbed the attention of every neighbor he had had from preschool—he thought: My grandpa is dead and there’s not a goddamn thing I can do about it. He’s dead because of this stupid EMP or whatever the heck happened—Kent Clar: Superman’s Alter Ego would probably put this as another one of his “government conspiracies” and why not? Why the heck not?

Finally, he asked: “What are we going to do to combat the gangs who are causing chaos at night?"

He surprised himself by asking that. It wasn’t the question he had been thinking. ‘Where do we bury the dead once the graveyard becomes overfilled?’ That had been his question, but oh well.

No need to start a panic.
    Last edited by Sonic; 05-20-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Fantasy and Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Town Hall, 4:00 PM

Mayor Matthews saw a young man gesture that he had a question. He seemed familiar, but she couldn't put a name to his face. Grandkid of one of her father's friends, maybe? “What are we going to do to combat the gangs who are causing chaos at night?"

"That is an excellent question, but I am not qualified to answer it, so I will give the podium to someone who is." She glanced around the room quickly, looking for the first police officer or ex-military guy she could find. Thankfully there were several in the room. Her eyes locked on one in particular, and she motioned him forward. 'Good. He's a great people person, and I'm sure he already has a plan in mind,' she thought.

Fantasy mostly, but being a roleplay lover, I am up for anything!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Both of her hands were in tight fists due to her nervousness, as Amber didn't enjoy being in large crowds either. Her eyes scanned the room and she noticed a few other people arriving. She watched as the mayor called up a man from the crowd to answer the question, and at this moment her younger sister, Hanna, tugged on her sleeve to get her attention. "What is it Hanna?" Amber asked in a hushed voice, careful not to disturb the meeting. The look on Hanna's face was the look of a worried child, scared and not knowing what was going to happen. The response she got to her question was expected, but made her think harder of what was to happen.

"Amber... What's going to happen to us? We don't have a home or food... Or any of the stuff their talking about..." Hanna had replied, her voice hushed but filled with a sad curiosity. Amber sighed and looked down at her feet, then back up to Hanna.

"We just have to stay where we are, we can figure it out... I promise. Everything will be okay." Her eyes had moved back up to the mayor and officer by now, as did her sisters. Despite how little they had, Amber was willing to do anything she had to for her sisters.
    Spoiler: Wanna join one of my roleplays? 

Giga Onion
    Give me an Idea and I'll see what I can do
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

"That is an excellent question, but I am not qualified to answer it, so I will give the podium to someone who is." She glanced around the room quickly, looking for the first police officer or ex-military guy she could find. Thankfully there were several in the room. Her eyes locked on one in particular, and she motioned him forward. 'Good. He's a great people person, and I'm sure he already has a plan in mind,' she thought.

"She's motioning for you Chandler," said Maddison in a whisper. Some eyes trailed from the mayor to Chandler. Maddison didn't like the feeling of being the center of attention, but as long as she had Jessica's hand she didn't care what happened.

"I understand that Maddison," he stepped forward a pace, "It'll be quick..."

'I sure hope so,' thought Maddison as she kept Jessica close.

Chandler was motioned by Mayor Matthews to come to the podium to answer a question Chandler didn't really hear all too well. This put the young police officer in an awkward position to speak before the masses of this town. He would have to fill their heads with thoughts of safety and security. This train of thought reminded him that he had his own means of security - the handgun that is currently holstered at the moment. His eyes leapt from man to man as he went forth to fill their minds with the words they, as well as himself, wanted to hear. "Though it is in my best interest to protect this town to the best of ability," he paused as he swallowed some saliva, "I can assure you that those who are trained in combat will deal with rogue partisans who decide to reap us of our rewards. Though what I cannot assure is that our presense will always be there. So in order to be effecient enough to handle this situation with care. I would suggest having mandatory basic combat training in order to train the strong to protect themselves and the ones they love. Security will be a must if we are to live in harmony with the foods that the land has given us."

Fantasy and Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Town Hall, 4:30 PM

Mayor Matthews had asked for a vote on the officer's proposal. Results were mixed. It seemed everyone was in favor of someone protecting the town, just not themselves. After some negotiation, they reached a compromise. The head of every household would be required to learn self defense. After that, they would have to sign into a rotation for either daytime security or night watch in teams of two for shifts of four hours. Homeowners not on duty or working would be expected to defend their own property. The center-most point in town, which happened to be the building they were in right now, would serve as an information hub. As it happened, there was an old bell out front that had sat there for decades almost untouched, kept during the renovations, ironically, because it gave the town hall a certain historical appeal. Kids playing around would sometimes use it in their games, so it was confirmed that it still rang. It was decided that the bell would be rung in cases of emergency or to gather the town together, as it could easily be heard anywhere.

There was also the matter of what to do with lawbreakers. Clay valley had no court house, and certainly no prison. Even with citizens watching the streets day and night, what would they do if looters did come? This sparked another debate.

"Existing law allows a person to defend their own personal property. If someone comes after you or someone else armed, and you have reason to believe that they intend harm, you are legally allowed to defend yourself. That is a given." Mayor Matthews pointed out. "At issue is what should be done with thieves and looters. These are extreme circumstances that we are living in, however punishment must be just. There are those out there who are stealing from each other to stay alive because they don't know what else to do. But we can't allow that inside our gates. I propose thieves be required to work to repay what they stole. An agreement should go on record of what they will do and for how long, and at the end of the allotted time, that person will have gotten their just punishment as well as learned a little work ethic, hopefully."

"What if they are from out of town?"

"What if it happens again?"

"The last resort for a nonviolent crime, whether it is committed by a resident or a non resident, should be banishment."

There was silence as that last statement sunk in. She had said it so quickly, it took a moment to realize how serious she was. So, if someone broke the law, they would have to either work it off, or leave and not come back. Leave everything.
    "I know that sounds harsh, but you have seen what has happened in places where there is no longer any rule of law. Lawlessness creates an environment for violence to flourish. Without laws there is no safety. Without safety things will degenerate to the point that our country, not just our town, would never recover. That is the reason we are here today. My father is right in this - food, as basic a necessity as it is, only keeps us alive. What we do from here on will decide if that life is worth living. The time for playing games is over."

It was the first time since she had been elected that Mathilda Matthews actually sounded like a leader.

Fantasy and Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

((Accidental double post.))
    Last edited by Eldora; 05-21-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Fantasy and Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Biggest embarrassment in roleplaying history. We never even made it past the first scene.

Mods, please delete this thread.